Call for Workshop Proposals
The 18th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD-2014)
May 13-16, 2014, Tainan, Taiwan
The Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD) is a leading international conference in the areas of data mining and knowledge discovery. It provides an international forum for researchers and industry practitioners to share their new ideas, original research results, and practical development experiences from all KDD related areas, including data mining, data warehousing, machine learning, databases, statistics, knowledge acquisition and automatic scientific discovery, data visualization, causal induction and knowledge-based systems, etc.
PAKDD 2014 seeks workshop proposals on foundational and emerging topics in areas related to data mining. The PAKDD workshops provide an informal and vibrant opportunity for researchers and industry practitioners to share their research positions, original research results and practical development experiences on specific challenges and emerging issues. The workshop topics should be focused and cohesive so that participants can benefit from interaction with each other.
A possible (non-exhaustive) list of topics include:
- Big data mining/platform
- Foundational topics in data mining
- Data mining and biology
- Data mining and climate change
- Data mining for financial applications
- Data mining in social networks
- Data mining for healthcare
- Data mining for environmental sciences
- Data mining on cloud computing
- Data mining on specialized data types: structured, unstructured, semi-structured, streaming, spatial-temporal, text and noisy text, multimedia, etc.
- Real life applications and success stories
- Data mining for location-based social networks
- Privacy aspects of data mining
- Data mining for security
- Data mining for e-Governance/ Open Data
- Data mining for manufacturing
- Data analysis and mining for smartphone/mobile devices
The organizers and chairs of the workshop shall have full control on the call for papers, forming of program committees, review and selection of papers as well as planning the workshop program. HOWEVER, the program committee chairs are not allowed to submit papers to the workshops to ensure a fair review process. IN ADDITION, the chairs must include the following statement in the workshop CFP: "Submitting a paper to the workshop means that if the paper is accepted, at least one author should attend the workshop to present the paper. For no-show authors, their affiliations will receive a notification." The registration fees for workshops will be determined by the conference (not the workshop itself). The fees will be paid to the conference, and the conference will provide workshop facilities including working notes printing, meeting room, coffee break, lunch, proceedings, etc.
Each workshop will have a right to include its outstanding papers in a LNCS/LNAI post Proceedings of PAKDD Workshops published by Springer. Under the program, the workshop chair must organize a review committee to select the outstanding papers from the papers presented in the workshop. Based on the reviews, each selected paper should be further improved for the camera ready version. A detailed schedule of due dates for the paper selection and the collection of the camera ready versions will be announced immediately after the workshop.
Prospective workshop organizers should send a proposal (maximum three pages) with the following sections to the PAKDD 2014 Workshop Co-Chairs.
- Title of the workshop
- Objectives, scope, and contribution to the main conference
- Names and contacts of key organizers and a tentative list of members of the program committee, along with links to their webpages.
- Expected number of papers, attendees, and preliminary workshop format Workshops will be either have a full day or a half day format. Prior discussion of candidate workshop organizers with the workshop chair is strongly encouraged.
- Workshop proposal due:
Sept. 16, 2013Sept. 23, 2013
- Workshop notification: Sept. 30, 2013
- Workshop call for papers: Oct. 14, 2013
- Workshop paper submission deadline: Jan. 6, 2014
- Workshop author notification: Feb. 5, 2014
- Workshop camera-ready due: Feb. 19, 2014
We look forward to your proposals and contributions to PAKDD 2014 Workshops.